Author Topic: DUI on FBI background check  (Read 17221 times)

Footbagm

DUI on FBI background check
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
Hey everybody,

I applied to the program back in November with Inscrita # 366 and now I am at the admitida stage.  I'm excited to go teach in Spain but I have one concern.  Back in August 2010 I was charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence, a.k.a OWI), the result of which is a deferred judgment if I complete one year of unsupervised probation.  In theory, a deferred judgment will prevent any conviction from showing up on my criminal record.  As I understand, however, the FBI background check is in-depth enough that it will dig up any time you were ever fingerprinted, so this will still show up.

Anyway, I'm wondering how big of an obstacle this DUI charge on my record will be in being accepted to the Auxiliares program and in obtaining a visa to work in Spain.  Anyone had any experience with such a situation? 

Thank you,

-Matthew

Rubiaco

• Gold
Re: DUI on FBI background check
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 04:06:39 AM »
I doubt it dude. I think they are looking more at violent crimes and drug offenses. Plus, if that is the only blemish on an otherwise clean record, I'd doubt you'll have much problem. The fact that it's so recent may be the only issue, but I still doubt it.

And as someone else said, if you make it to the admitida status, you stand very little chance of being rejected.

Good luck

Reportinglove

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
Hey everybody,

I applied to the program back in November with Inscrita # 366 and now I am at the admitida stage.  I'm excited to go teach in Spain but I have one concern.  Back in August 2010 I was charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence, a.k.a OWI), the result of which is a deferred judgment if I complete one year of unsupervised probation.  In theory, a deferred judgment will prevent any conviction from showing up on my criminal record.  As I understand, however, the FBI background check is in-depth enough that it will dig up any time you were ever fingerprinted, so this will still show up.

Anyway, I'm wondering how big of an obstacle this DUI charge on my record will be in being accepted to the Auxiliares program and in obtaining a visa to work in Spain.  Anyone had any experience with such a situation? 

Thank you,

-Matthew

Did you get placed?

halydia

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
Did you get placed?

I don't think the problems will come at the time of placement, it'll come when you're trying to get a visa. Who knows though...
Good luck.

Footbagm

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
Hey thanks for the responses everyone.  I did get a regional placement so it seems that this has not affected me being accepted to the Auxiliares program.  I emailed the consulate to ask if this would be an issue in obtaining a student visa, an NIE or a TIE, and I got this response:

"Once you apply it will be up   to the Ministry of foreign affairs to approve or deny the visa, we can   not guarantee you will get approved nor denied. Once your visa has been   approved you should not have a problem in obtaining your NIE once in   Spain."

I guess I'll have to wait and see at my visa appt.

-Matthew

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
Hey thanks for the responses everyone.  I did get a regional placement so it seems that this has not affected me being accepted to the Auxiliares program.  I emailed the consulate to ask if this would be an issue in obtaining a student visa, an NIE or a TIE, and I got this response:

"Once you apply it will be up   to the Ministry of foreign affairs to approve or deny the visa, we can   not guarantee you will get approved nor denied. Once your visa has been   approved you should not have a problem in obtaining your NIE once in   Spain."

I guess I'll have to wait and see at my visa appt.

-Matthew

I think they are just covering their bases by not guaranteeing anything. A DUI shows a lack a judgment, but it's not a violent crime or a felony or hard drugs. They want to make sure you aren't going to cause problems in their country. We are applying for student visas. Do you think every student that has studied abroad has squeeky clean 'criminal' history. I think you should be fine man. That's what my professor told a girl in our class with a DUI.

El Venado

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »
I feel ya Matthew. I was convicted of DWI back in 2007, so I'm hoping it doesn't cause a lot of problems...

woodmanwilcox

• Bronze
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
Did any of you guys end up getting your visas with less than perfect records?

watersba

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:58 AM »
Same thing happened to me.  I got a DUI in January of 2010, but got a deferred prosecution which led to the charges being dropped.  I was accepted to the program in April and I JUST got an email today saying that I'm being excluded from the program because it would be impossible for me to get a Visa as a result of my background check.  All the background check said was "DUI charges dropped" which clearly indicates that I wasn't even convicted of the charges.  I'm trying to get it appealed now, but for the moment it doesn't look good.

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
Same thing happened to me.  I got a DUI in January of 2010, but got a deferred prosecution which led to the charges being dropped.  I was accepted to the program in April and I JUST got an email today saying that I'm being excluded from the program because it would be impossible for me to get a Visa as a result of my background check.  All the background check said was "DUI charges dropped" which clearly indicates that I wasn't even convicted of the charges.  I'm trying to get it appealed now, but for the moment it doesn't look good.

what consulate are you in? same thing happened to me in Miami. I've emailed about an appeal, but I haven't heard back. Mine wasn't dropped, but it was from 2008.

THEBEACH

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »
Wow I'm seriously shocked to hear some of this. I was thinking if you get accepted into the program that that was pretty much it. I hope an MUI isn't frowned upon in the same manner.  But if I "dropped DUI" is getting people rejected, then an MUI still scares me.  Any thoughts on this?

watersba

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Mine is in Miami as well.  And I'm in the process of appealing it, but in the meantime I begged for the program coordinator in Miami to hold my position for a few days while we figure it out and he said "sorry, the decision is final."  It really doesn't make any sense.  Hopefully you have more luck.

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
I talked to Mr. Cogolludo, and he said that his office is different and to call the office that handles the visa but I havent been able to get in touch with ANYONE to say that I formally appeal.

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
seems hopeless. He told me earlier that anything except a clean sheet will get you rejected.