Author Topic: ESL Teachers Needed Online (part-time)  (Read 9340 times)

TABCRecruiter

ESL Teachers Needed Online (part-time)
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:50 PM »
TutorABC is a web-based, English language teaching organization with more than 3000 current clients. We offer a legitimate working opportunity for teachers to supplement their incomes by teaching online part-time.

We are currently recruiting part-time English Teachers who will use the TutorABC award-winning online English learning platform to teach adults on the web.

TutorABC offers you:
- Competitive base rate per class plus attractive bonus structure.
- Small classes (1–6 students per class) of highly motivated adult students.
- Full training on our Online Tutoring software will be given.
- All Classes use TutorABC lesson plans, no further class preparation necessary.
- All Class groups are comprised of students with similar levels of English ability.
- Long-term employment opportunity (most of our students sign up for two years)
- Over four years of experience teaching English online
- State-of-the-art online teaching platform

Teaching requirements / Personal qualifications:
- Energetic and professional personality
- College or university degree (preferred), or a current university student.
- Previous ESL teaching experience (preferred)
- Previous working experience in other fields
- Teaching availability suitable to TutorABC schedule
- Familiarity with using computers

Technical requirements:
- Pentium, 1GHZ or faster computer
- Windows XP, 2000, Me, 98, 512mb or more RAM
- DSL, Cable or Fiber Optic Internet Connection (minimum of 512kps upload - check with your service provider)
- High Quality W****am (recommend: Creative, Logitech)
- Headphone/Microphone set

To apply online and schedule a live, online interview:
http://recruit.tutorabc.com/asp/a.asp

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
Re: ESL Teachers Needed Online (part-time)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I had responded to this post and am now teaching on-line for this company.  I don't know if they are still looking for teachers, but if they are and you have questions, feel free to send me a PM through the expatcafe and I'll answer any questions you may have.

Salud! :beer:
Michelle
Save the siesta!
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." - Amelia Earhart

visit me at myspace.com/worldclasstraveller

RebeccaG

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
Hi Michelle! That's great that you landed a job with this company. Thanks for the feedback and intial impressions.  :)

To the extent possible, I would like to encourage that any questions regarding the job be kept online to help others who are looking for similiar opportunities.

My questions to you...being an online job, how do they handle the paying? For example, if there were an American living in Spain who wanted to work for them, how would they be paid? Bank transfers into a bank account?

Hope all is well with you!
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »
Hiya Rebecca!

Yeah sure I have no problem answering questions on the board (I had offered off-board because the teaching isn't teaching in Spain.....)

Well, I'll let you know about the pay when it happens :)  They pay monthly at the end of the month via paypal.  I've never worked for an "online-only" company where my interview was not in person. 

I have a w****am and the company has software that you install on your computer and they actually provide the lessons too!  You only have to sign online 10 minutes before your schedule class to upload the selected lesson for that session (click on a link they provide, click Ctrl + P to print, and print to their "printer" which is actually their software that is a virtual whiteboard).

The technology is amazing.  The students rate you ever session (sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not so good but not necessarily bad either) and you also evaluate each student in the session.

They also have a bonus structure that is based upon the base rate (email me for what I'm getting paid;)) plus increases per class depending upon the ratings you receive from the students.

It's a great way to keep your teaching muscles sharp and toned.  And it's really cool teaching people live on the web - the students are Taiwanese and are in Taiwan!  You know I remember a time.....back in the stone ages.....before there was internet......when we had to do things the old fashion way....we had to walk 3 miles, in the snow, uphill, without shoes.....well you know how the rest of that goes ;)

Anyhoo - if you've got questions - fire away:D

Michelle
Save the siesta!

RebeccaG

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »
Hello Michelle,

Well, you are now a few weeks into the job, how about an update report?

Do you like the job? Is it something you recommend? Advantages? Disadvantages? Enquiring minds want to know!

Hope all is well!

Rebecca
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »
Hi Rebecca,

I was going to wait until tomorrow to answer because we're supposed to get paid tomorrow.... ;) (I'll come back and post here after I get paid to let you know how that went for sure :) )

Usually I would be getting paid on the 10th of the month but February 6th is the start of the Chinese New Year and the school is closed until the 11th so we're getting paid early.

Well, it has proven to be a challenge to be certain!  It's made me recal some pointers from my days teaching in Prague....

For instance - pace your speech based on the students level of comprehension and stop verbalizing mental language (2 biggies for me) it's get to shake the dust off.

All in all I think it's been a very good experience.  One drawback is that I am the only one with a w****am so I don't get to see the students but they see me.  Unfortunately this eliminates the ability to read body language, so instead of being able to see recognition and comprehension on their faces.....I have to ask or wing it.....that makes it also more of a challenge to make sure that you're keeping your students engaged.

Another challenge I've faced has been technical problems, either on my side or the student's....after every class (or session as they call it) the students can rate the teacher (you get bonus pay as I mentioned above, for high ratings and conversely you can also get docked pay if you have low ratings - it really keeps you on your toes! That's for sure)....

Anyway, I remember one session I had last month where the student was having technical difficulty and I couldn't hear him very well, he couldn't hear me very well and the session wound up not going all that well.....he rated me a 5 :(

But since then it's been pretty good.  It's definitely a challenge getting up at the crack of dawn everyday....but that's because I'm generally not a morning person :D

I would say that for anyone who is living anywhere in the world where they have high-speed internet and who wants to teach or even just supplement their income - this is a good way to go.

The lesson plans are provided for you as I've previously mentioned, but you get to comment on the lesson plans and the people at Tutor ABC have been very responsive about changing or editing the lessons.

I've even had to tell them of grammatical errors or colloquial errors or even typos.  

It's really cool though because you're teaching people half a world away in real time and that's simply amazing.  Plus teaching is it's own reward.  I really get a sense of fulfillment from teaching English, especially when you hear your student gets it and you hear the moment when it "clicks" for them.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's wanting to teach.  It's a great way to earn extra money and gain experience all without having to leave the comfort of your La-Z-Boy recliner ;)

Michelle :)
Save the siesta!

JT

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »
Hi Michelle

I have sent you a private message about this so I hope you have got it.  Let me know if you haven't because I have had some problems sending messages through the message board.

Thanks

Joia

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:11:39 AM »
Hi Joia,

Yes I did get your PM but I'm going to answer here so if anyone else is intersted in the info....it's here for the taking....

I did get paid today, via paypal.  Although, I did not receive a "paycheck stub" so to speak, so I'm not exactly sure how my base pay plus bonuses was calculated exactly.  I sent a message today to the scheduler that I've been dealing with but since they are 13 hours ahead (I'm in FL so EST plus 13 hours) and the Chinese New Year has begun, the school is closed.

So I don't anticipate a response to my query until the 12th or thereafter.

If you have adsl or dsl or cable internet, you should be fine.  I don't know about dial up.  As far as hours and all that, given that you're in a different time zone, I don't know what would be the available hours for your local.

The school will be closed until February 11th, but feel free to send your resume and request information.  I had my interview with Steve.  A w****am is required, and you will probably need a headset with a mic too, because feedback happens with the proximity of the mic, your speakers, etc....

In the interview process they tested my internet connection.  Although I myself have had problems with my ISP (I hate, absolutely hate ATT and their crap DSL  >:( )  I'm moving at the end of next month (literally across the street) and will be able to have cable internet which IMO is far superior to DSL, but that's just me.....

All the students I have had so far, have spoken some English, so I haven't had any absolute beginners.  But I have had some students that were only a smidgen above beginner  ;)

I like doing it.  The platform works for me and my needs and my schedule.  I also hold a 40-hour/week job and my employer was willing to be a little flexible with regard to my coming in an hour later (and staying an hour later) than regular business hours.

So I get up pretty early (but I also have a relatively new puppy [whom I love dearly :-*] so I have to get up to take him out before I get on-line to teach.  I teach a class at 7:30 a.m. EST for 45 minutes, then I get fully dressed (usually I'm still wearing pyjamas under a shirt I've thrown on - the w****am has a limited view....) then go to my full-time job. 

I am required to "sign" in and start the session 10 minutes prior to the session start time and after the session is over, I am required to fill out a short evaluation of both the lesson plan (which they've provided) and the student(s) that participated in the session.

Having a good internet connection might be your biggest challenge, really; it's really the most important thing aside from the speed of your own computer and the memory you have available in order to support the live streaming video and audio.

I hope that that has answered some of your questions at least. :)  If you decide to send your CV and apply please post here and let us know how it goes.

Michelle

p.s. Oh I also teach Saturday and Sunday as well 2 classes back to back both days starting at 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. respectively.

Save the siesta!

JT

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:57:07 PM »
Hi Michelle

Can you tell me roughly how much you get paid per class?  I am still not sure about my internet speed and whether it will be good enough for these purposes, and I noticed on their website they ask for you to put up a white curtain behind you so that it looks like you have a plain which background which I could do if necessary but I just need to make sure it is worth my while doing so first.

I already have a microphone and headset because I already teach telephone classes, but I assume the classes you are teaching are taught via Skype or similar, is this correct?  I have no experience of using this because i currently use a normal telephone line so could you give me some more information.  I have just had my internet speed slightly upgraded, it is a 3mb DSL connection as far as I know.  I had some problems with Skype previously when it was a 1mb connection so I don't know if this will make a difference.  I am sure that the internet speed you get in the US is much faster than here in Spain anyway.

As I already teach pre-intermediate to intermediate level students I think I would be ok with basic English speakers especially if I would already be given a lesson plan so maybe this kind of work could be for me.  I already work a 35 hour week at the moment, although during the summer and other holiday periods this drops to 5-10 hours per week so this could be ideal as a supplement for my current income.

Can you tell me if there is a minimum requirement regarding the number of hours you can teach?  I could only fit in a few hours each week at the moment and this will probably be even more limited due to the time difference but I suppose I could fit in a few sessions on Saturdays and Sundays too.

Sorry for all the questions but before I go ahead and apply I would like a little more information that's all.

Thanks a lot

Joia

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »
Hi Joia,

No worries... ask all you want!  :)  I'm not sure I can answer all your questions....you may need to ask Tutor ABC directly...but I'll give it a shot...

The base pay for each class is $10 - I haven't worked out exactly how the per student per session bonus per rating works out yet for myself.  I did get a paycheck stub though, but I haven't had a chance to ask my questions to my handler yet.

As far as the white sheet thing goes, in my living room where I sit for the classes, (in the corner) one wall is a dark, dark blue (darker than navy) and the other wall is a creamy warm yellowish color....so I wouldn't worry about that, as long as you have adequate lighting (and you can "test" your equipment before hand as well to make adjustments as necessary) and you should be fine.

As far as your DSL speed, I'm afraid that the only way to get that answered is to send them an email submitting your resume and schedule an interview.  They will (during the interview) anaylize your connection and tell you if you have any issues that need to be resolved.

Regarding Skype - they [TutorABC] have their own software application (web-based) it's called MuchTalk (I think).

As far as minimum amount of hours - I'm afraid that's a question for Tutor ABC - I don't know what they have regarding availability and/or what their need is....but that's something you can ask in the interview.

Let's see did I get them all?  :)  I hope so.  Either way, it costs you nothing really to write a quick introductory email expressing your interest and forwarding them your resume/CV just a few minutes of time and what have you got to lose?  Nothing.  I say go for it.  If it turns out that it's not for you....well at least you'll have given it a shot, yeah?  :)

Hope that helps....let me know what you decide and if you go for it....how it all turns out.

Michelle
Save the siesta!

lkorpan

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 06:33:31 AM »
Thanks for all the great info..Am wondering if you have an update about how the bonus's work? Also how long is each session?

Thanks!

mlwalton

• Administrator
  • Action is the word!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 05:58:34 AM »
Hi lkorpan,

I taught for Tutor ABC for over a year online.  I have a full time job and because my employer chose to no longer remain flexible with my schedule, I wound up giving up my teaching schedule.

I've since heard good and bad things about TutorABC but I can't say that I had ever had a bad experience working for them and I am considering picking it up again (if I can fit it into my schedule with the regular day job). 

However, I've also heard that the things consultants were complaining about, have improved.  I found a forum for TutorABC consultants that might be able to provide more current and up to date insight.

http://consultantalliancetutorabc.ning.com/

There's a good and bad with everything, but like I said, I'm looking to pick it up again to supplement my income....so for whatever that's worth, there you go....

I hope that was helpful.  Please let us know if you decide to pursue consultant work for them and I will do the same.

Michelle :)
Save the siesta!

joetraff

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
Cool link sharing.
Keep it up.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18