Author Topic: Want to apply to teach in Spain - advice needed!  (Read 3972 times)

ktazz88

• Default personal text
Want to apply to teach in Spain - advice needed!
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »
Hello!

I'm from Chicago and I have been doing a lot of research on different programs to teach English in Spain! I have read numerous blogs, websites, forums, program sites, etc. but there I think I'd benefit most from speaking to people that have experienced this. I just want to get more details about the experience: best programs to choose, living off of the stipend, adjusting to life in Spain, best regions to live in, etc. I would appreciate any input as I think it would really help me make the best decision for me. Thanks!

SunnyBeach

• Default personal text
Re: Want to apply to teach in Spain - advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »
Hi!

This link will take you to your best option:
http://www.mecd.gob.es/servicios-al-ciudadano-mecd/catalogo-servicios/profesores/convocatorias/extranjeros/auxiliares-conversacion-extranjeros-espana.html

It pays between 700-1000 euros per month, plus health insurance. It is usually 700 euros everywhere in Spain, except Madrid and maybe Barcelona because the cost of living is more expensive there. You can start applying perhaps in nov/dec/jan. Keep checking the website for updates.  It requires recommendations, background checks, doctors note so prepare to have that information ready. This is the best legit way to work in Spain. While you are there you will have time to travel around because you normally only work 12-16 hours a week. The application period for the 2013-2014 school year is over, but at least you have a year to work and save money, which will ease your transition if you have alot of back up $$$ and you can have more fun :)

Anyway, this is your best opportunity, otherwise unless you have a teaching degree you could work in an American school. If you have a EU passport you could work in a language school, but the pay isn't great.  Something to consider.  I wish you the best!!!!

summergal1616

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
I did a lot of research last year on different programs in Spain and there's a couple of programs to teach in Spain:

1. Auxiliares de Conversacion through the Spanish Government:  This is the most well-known and popular because it's the easiest to get into (if you apply on time you are more or less guaranteed a position) it pays well, and medical insurance is included.  The only issue is that because each community in Spain controls the program individually you never know what experience you will get or where exactly you may be placed. 

In Madrid you work 16 hours a week and get 1000€, every where else you work 12 hours per week and get paid 700€ (all schools are part of the public school system and may or may not be bilingual)  Catluña, Comunidad Valenciana, Castilla-La Mancha, Navarra, and the Canary Islands are not participating in the program (at least for those applying from North America).  Personally, I've been lucky and placed outside of Madrid with have a great school that guaranteed I will be on time. 

Here is the North American website: http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html  Last year they posted information around November and the application period opened in January.

2. BEDA (Bilingual English Development & Assessment): A similar program where you work in the Catholic School system.  It's more selective (only a few hundred positions) and they prefer applicants who have experience abroad, proficiency in Spanish, or teaching experience.  Most positions are centered around Madrid but they are growing and have openings in AndalucÁ­a, Canary Islands,  Castilla-La Mancha, Galicia and Murcia, etc.

You are paid by the hours you work per week, regardless of what region you are placed in: for working 18 hours a week you make €900, 20 hours €1000, 22 hours €1100, and for 24 hours a week €1200.  And if you are selected and choose to enroll in the BEDA program there is also a €175-€200 fee because you also have a course you take a couple times a month. 

It's popular because it's said to be more reliable than the government program but I have a friend placed outside of Madrid this year who said she hasn't found it as organized as it's claimed to be (again, only personal experience I know and BEDA's base IS centered in Madrid).  Last year the application process opened in November and closed in February, and unlike the government program it's not first come first serve.
http://www.ecmadrid.org/beda/Auxiliares%20de%20conversacion/iwant.html

3. Activa: I have a friend doing this in Madrid and she works around 30 hours a week in a public school in Madrid center.  She works in the schools and gives classes during her lunch break.  She likes it so far and the program has helped her with her residency papers here but she works a lot more than the other programs and only makes just about as much as the government program in Madrid and insurance isn't included.

I don't know much else about the program, but I believe Activa is technically through an academy but hires assistant to work in public schools
http://www.activa.org/8_language_assistant.htm

4. CIEE: It's essentially the same program as the ministry's program but you pay a few thousand dollars in exchange for their support throughout your year abroad.  You pay the money when you apply to secure your position and know you'll be taken care of abroad.  There's a few different programs offered in Andalucia and Madrid and I think some of the programs even over grants/scholarships to applicants.
http://www.ciee.org/teach/compare-programs/#spain

I hope this helped!  Though personally I just know how the ministry program in Madrid because that's what I'm doing this year.  So far it's great and I haven't had a problem living on the stipend budget.

Yogomonoyakub

• Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
How many days do you remember?