Author Topic: Becoming Spanish & pros & cons of recogizing/renouncing current nationality???  (Read 3303 times)

Nationality?

• Default personal text
I have just become Spanish.  However, even though my mother is Spanish due to a loophole, I wasn´t able to have my nationality (American) recognized.  In other words, I had to renounce my American nationality in order to become Spanish.

I have spoken with the civil authorities in Spain and the US Consulate Embassy Madrid-and I have been told that it is a just a formality and I did not actually give up my American nationality. Shew, great news....BUT

I would however, like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation? or if they know the pros and cons of having your nationality recognized.'
Technically, since my mother is Spanish my American nationality should have been recognized however, my paperwork wasn´t handled in this way thus the renounciation. The question is what difference would it have made if my American nationality was recognized?

I am a little burnt, because by heritage I shouldn´t have had to renounce anything, but it is a done deal now.  I would just like to know is there any reason why it would have been better to have fought to have my American nationality recognized?  Since all in all, it doesn´t seem to make a difference or does it?

Please any help or feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Teresa

calvento

Hi Teresa,

I've read a fair bit about this as I was debating going for Spanish nationality (my grandmother was Spanish and I've been living in Spain legally for over 2 years, therefore I'm eligible). My understanding is that neither Spain nor the US will recognize dual-nationality. Spain makes you "renounce" your US citizenship, but if you haven't officially gone to renounce your citizenship in the US, both of them are valid, though unrecognized by the other country. The most important part is your "intent" in renouncing the nationality, which clearly could never be proved.

As for pros and cons, it seems there aren't many. When entering Spain you'd use your Spanish passport and when entering the US you'd use the American passport. There must be some rules about being able to vote in both countries during the same year but I haven't looked into that much. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but congrats on your new nationality!

ErvinRa

• Default personal text
I had no idea both nationalities could remain valid in this situation. I thought you would lose your former one autimatically. That's pretty neat.