Author Topic: How's the economic crisis in Spain affecting private tutoring?  (Read 1303 times)

jaoshay

I am planning on going to Spain this fall with the North American Language Cultural Ambassadors program. I plan on giving private English lessons.  I notice that most folks charge rough 20 euros/hour but I am curious to know has anyone noticed a decrease in students signing up for private English lessons due to the crisis? Or has the crisis not really had an effect on folks wanting private English lessons?

halydia

Re: How's the economic crisis in Spain affecting private tutoring?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
It depends where you are.
My classes are still full. I think parents are putting a priority on foreign language skills, now more than ever.

jaoshay

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
Thank you for the response.  I was just curious because I plan to move their this fall and I am trying to figure out how the crisis will influence my situation.

Pgarrone

• So excited for this program!!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
LaRubia,

Where are you living?

GetMeOutOfHere

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
great thread, I was wondering the same thing. Do you think we'd have to know spanish pretty well in order to do the private tutoring?

jlr14

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:34 PM »
This is really going to depend on where you are.  I'm in Granada right now, where it's cheap to live but you really can't charge more than 15 euros an hour for clases particulares (and if you charge more than 10, students' expectations will be high re: planning time, etc.).  A friend of mine was charging 7 euros/hour per student, and a number of parents had to pull out because they just couldn't afford it.

Jenefernandez

• Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone speak to tutoring prices for Galicia? More specifically, I'll be in Coruna. Are they also roughly between 15-20 euro/hour?

Thanks!
Jen   

summergal1616

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:02:37 PM »
I remember reading a blog about a language assistant in Galicia, Santiago specifically, and she posted about how to find private classes and how much to charge.  It's on wordpress and is called The Purple Backpack.

Jenefernandez

• Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I remember reading a blog about a language assistant in Galicia, Santiago specifically, and she posted about how to find private classes and how much to charge.  It's on wordpress and is called The Purple Backpack.

Thank you! This is really helpful. It sounds like things are difficult in Galicia right now, but the demand for native speakers is still booming. You can do well if you're willing to put in the effort of self-promoting. This is what she had to say:

the Spanish demand for native teachers is HIGH. What does that mean in terms of euros? Well, if you want to charge 20€/hour as a basic rate, you’re not going to find many takers. The average rate is 10-15€/hour, depending on the type of lesson. Child classes are offered at a cheaper rate 10€ for kids and 12€ for adults, because it requires less planning. What's better,  you can also offer group classes. Grouping means that rates automatically increase with minimal extra effort. It is also an incentive for the parents, as per-student prices actually decrease the larger the group is.
For example: one child is 10€/hour. But 2 kids are 15€ and 3 are 20€.

Brilliant! Thanks again!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18