Author Topic: Homologation - has anyone done it successfully?  (Read 3071 times)

julysky87

Homologation - has anyone done it successfully?
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi All,

My university is on holiday for the next few weeks....and I know I can either pay around 200 euros, or get my American degree homologated. I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with this? My school told me it would take a couple years and was not worth it, but I am not sure if they were just saying it to get more money.

This post explains some of the topic: http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/index.php/topic,2217.0.html

What I am really wanting to know is how long it took people to do and how much it cost? I believe I have all the paperwork I need here with me, but I know I will need to get the Apostille on it and have it translated. If it will take years, there is no reason to try now since school starts in September.

Thanks!

halydia

Re: Homologation - has anyone done it successfully?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »
Here's another post: http://www.expatriatecafe.com/forums/index.php/topic,2073.msg15375.html#msg15375

I have my degree homologado a grado. This means that Spain recognizes that I have a bachelor's degree - and only that. It does not mean that they recognize either of the majors I did. Why did I do this? Well, my majors were Poli Sci and Spanish, both of which are radically different in Spain. Homologación means Spain recognizes your degree as equal to one done in their country. To get my degrees recognized, I would have had to go back to university to complete the courses "missing" (HA!) from my degree. I opted to go the other, quicker, route so I could get my master's asap. It took me approximately six months. It is said to take much longer (and figure in time for taking courses you're "missing") to get your degree fully legally recognized.

One important thing I didn't say is that I legalized my degree two years ago before "Plan Bologna" really came into effect. This might have possibly changed the process, I'm not sure  :-\

mll22

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
Hey Larubia,

I've been putting this off for years, for the same reason.  I have a degree in Math and Spanish, and I'm afraid my math degree wasn't rigorous enough to be recognized as one in Spain (although with many all nighter homework and study seesions, it definitely seemed rigorous enough here!)  Do you know any other benefits of getting it homologado a grado except for it allowing you to enroll in colleges there without entrance exams, etc.?  For example, would a school be able to hire you if you only have it homologado a grado? (that is, a private school.) A school I interviewed at said they couldn't hire me without having my degrees homologados, and to call them when I got them homologado.  But like you said, the full recognition I'm guessing could take years, and since I'm 6 years out of school, there's no way I'm going to take any missing math courses! 

or do you know, if you get the grado, can you apply later to get it fully recognized? or is it like that catch-22, if you apply to get a convalidacion de estudios, you can't later apply to get your titulo homologado?   

thanks for any info!

halydia

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:04 PM »
These are some very good questions. I'd like to know the answer myself. I was able to get into a Máster en Formación del Profesorado program with just being homologado a grado. From what I was told by the local union, I will then be able to take the local teaching exams. I'd love to give you a better answer, but I don't want to give you bad information about something so important.

Are you in Spain at the moment? Could you speak with either a local teacher's union (ANPE, FETE-UGT, CCOO, etc.) or alta inspección of the ministry of ed. in your region to get better answers?

Again, very sorry to not be more help. Take care, and keep us updated please! I'm very interested to hear the answers.

Flacota del Sur

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
These are some very good questions. I'd like to know the answer myself. I was able to get into a Máster en Formación del Profesorado program with just being homologado a grado. From what I was told by the local union, I will then be able to take the local teaching exams. I'd love to give you a better answer, but I don't want to give you bad information about something so important.

Thought I might add to this since I just talked to the person in charge of giving information on the Master´s program of the University of Granada to teach in public high schools.  I was told that I don´t need to have my BA homologated to get into the program, but that when I´m later hired at a school they´ll want the full homologation.  He said that it can take more than a year, as recently a girl he was working with had hers done and it took a year and a half.

halydia

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
Thought I might add to this since I just talked to the person in charge of giving information on the Master´s program of the University of Granada to teach in public high schools.  I was told that I don´t need to have my BA homologated to get into the program, but that when I´m later hired at a school they´ll want the full homologation.  He said that it can take more than a year, as recently a girl he was working with had hers done and it took a year and a half.

Full homologación? I understood that, before taking the opos you've got to get at least a grado (if you're going to go the opo route.)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18