Author Topic: An important read about the recent budget cuts  (Read 3834 times)

RebeccaG

• Administrator
Re: An important read about the recent budget cuts
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »
To be honest, it's a bit weird? to me, to hear of mileuristas, or that the salary of the program will be 700 Euros a month, when I can't even pay rent with 700 Euros. It truly puts things into perspective, especially after seeing this article, "Where are you on the global pay scale?": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

I think it's important to remember that the auxiliaries are not being paid a salary. You are here on student visas as interns and the money being paid is essentially a scholarship/stipend. It was never seen as an amount of money to live off of...
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

ILS

• Bronze
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »
Halydia --

Thank you for keeping it real here. I think your posts have been fantastic and spot on. It is ESSENTIAL that the incoming Auxiliares and ANYONE coming over to Spain understand the current economic situation the country is in. It is NOT good.

That said, I do believe that the bilingual program will be maintained. As Halydia mentioned, the bilingual program was a strong part of PP's (Partido Popular -- more fiscally conservative) platform. Esperanza Aguirre, the President of La Comunidad de Madrid and a leader in PP, is the main proponent behind the bilingual program in Spain -- especially Madrid. She understands the importance of being (at least) bilingual and is a competent English speaker. She studied in the USA.

Frankly, I am impressed with Spain's efforts to have bilingual education in public schools. As far as I am aware, this is unheard of in the USA. When they talk about bilingual education in the USA, what they are really referring to are the special programs to help immigrants integrate and acquire the necessary English language skills to survive in an academic setting.

Thank you so much for this post! It's really helpful and reassuring information especially from someone that lives there.

halydia

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »
So I know I've been quite pessimistic about the situation Spain is in at the moment. However, here's a different view of the situation from Madrid brewer Mahou:

I know it's a beer commercial, but they nailed it. Things are rough right now, but the "small things" are even more important.

Porlatierra

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
To be honest, it's a bit weird? to me, to hear of mileuristas, or that the salary of the program will be 700 Euros a month, when I can't even pay rent with 700 Euros.

Programs like this are international exchanges, they are almost like treaties.  They dont get cut just like that.  I wouldnt worry about it.

Castilian Red, where do you live in Spain?  I pay €117/month and its a really nice place.  I thought they gave you more money if you were in an expensive city.

conquistadoraC

• Live and Love Life!
  • Bronze
    • Conquistadora Careese
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 01:56:07 AM »
Well it seems it affected the program greatly =\

halydia

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
I lost my job (through another program) due to the cuts in Education.

A year on, here's more stories:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/20/world/europe/madrid-city-of-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2013/02/world/spain-voices/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Up until this year, we weren't really seeing too much of the "crisis" up north. Now, I'm starting to notice more empty homes and more businesses closing.

Ánimo a todos.

halydia

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
...and the "positive commercials" keep coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_omZ5bo8lk

The economic situation stinks. It really does. However, I still love the people and the country. (Just not the politicians and the corruption! ???)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18