Author Topic: DELE exam  (Read 14517 times)

anaspain

• Silver
DELE exam
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
The next couple of months won't be so hectic for me so I've been thinking about using my free time to study for the DELE C2 exam. I've studied Spanish for a long time and have been living in Spain for almost two years. I think I could pass the exam if I dedicate myself to studying for a while and maybe take a preparation course. However, since the exam is pass/fail I don't know if I should opt to do the C1 exam instead.

Has anyone taken the DELE C1 or C2 exam? If so, any advice would be great!

mantler

• Gold
Re: DELE exam
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
I took the B2 exam a few years ago after a year of full time Spanish study here in Spain, following years of Spanish study since junior high.  I had taken a lot of grammar classes and thought that while my speaking and grammar were pretty advanced, I still hadn't spent enough time immersed to feel confident I would pass the C2 exam.
AFAIK there is no C1 exam, so it's a bit of a leap from B2 to C2.  From what I am told, you have to know a lot of colloquial expressions, idioms, etc.  Basically you have to be pretty darn fluent, e.g. hold a conversation using rich vocabulary and pausing infrequently, few grammatical errors if any, excellent pronunciation, etc.  I recommend you go to the dele.org website and check out the practice exams they have up there, which should give you an idea of which one will be feasible to take.

anaspain

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
Thanks for your advice mantler!  There is a C1 exam. I think it came out in 2010. It's in between the B2 and C2. I was looking at the success rate from last year-  more people passed the C2 than the C1. 

I'm going to check out the practice exams on the website.

I Am Zlatan

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »
I came across a great pair of blog entries not that long ago regarding taking the DELE exam; the blog is called Sunshine and Siestas, here are the links to the entries:

http://sunshinesandsiestas.com/2011/11/07/dos-and-donts-preparing-for-the-dele/

http://sunshinesandsiestas.com/2011/12/07/dele-if-you-do-dele-if-you-dont/

Hope it's helpful--I found them pretty good (and informative!) reads.  :)

anaspain

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Thanks Melissa!! That is exactly what I was looking for :)

halydia

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
The next couple of months won't be so hectic for me so I've been thinking about using my free time to study for the DELE C2 exam. I've studied Spanish for a long time and have been living in Spain for almost two years. I think I could pass the exam if I dedicate myself to studying for a while and maybe take a preparation course. However, since the exam is pass/fail I don't know if I should opt to do the C1 exam instead.

Has anyone taken the DELE C1 or C2 exam? If so, any advice would be great!

I think that would be a great use of the time. After two years in Spain (and, admittdly, full immersion due to a relationship and work) I took - and passed! - the DELE superior. The only things I did to study were: 1. use Spanish as my only way of communicating outside the classroom and 2. do every single practice test I could get my hands on.

Make sure to practice the listening sections. They throw in some crazy, poorly recorded accents from throughout the Spanish speaking world. Also, make sure to look how the speaking exam is done because it caught me a bit off guard - I would've done better had I know what the format was going to be.

I think it's definitely worth it, and a great way to prove you speak Spanish once you get back to your home country!

anaspain

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Thanks for your advice, halydia. I'm definitely looking into the taking C2 exam. When did you take it and how long did you study for it??  I'm looking into taking a prep course.

Today someone posted a link on facebook from the Cervantes Institute website. It's an exam to test your Spanish level.

60 multiple choice questions, 1 short text with 5 MC questions, and one audio with 5 MC questions.

http://ave.cervantes.es/prueba_nivel/registro/test_de_clasificacion.php?origen=webAVE

halydia

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Thanks for your advice, halydia. I'm definitely looking into the taking C2 exam. When did you take it and how long did you study for it??  I'm looking into taking a prep course.

Today someone posted a link on facebook from the Cervantes Institute website. It's an exam to test your Spanish level.

60 multiple choice questions, 1 short text with 5 MC questions, and one audio with 5 MC questions.

http://ave.cervantes.es/prueba_nivel/registro/test_de_clasificacion.php?origen=webAVE

I took it in May two years back when it was still "Superior" and not C2. I studied for about two months. I bought an exam prep book, but found that it wasn't that great. I think that if you've got extra cash it might be a good way to know exactly how the exam will be. If not, I know that doing lots (and I mean lots) of practice exams it's possible to pass without a course.

eyePod

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:08 AM »
Hi,
As some have already noted, the DELE C2 now conforms to the European Common Model and in my opinion is much more difficult than the old Superior level.

anaspain

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
I'm taking a prep course right now. My diagnostic test said I'm in between C1-C2 but apparently the C2 exam in May is extremely different and no prep center has new material to prepare for it. so I'm aiming for the C1.

eyePod

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
Hi Andan,
If you're referring to the cervantes diagnostic test that you posted a link to, I went and looked at that.  It looks to be old and not explained at all.  I wouldn't trust it enough to determine a level - I'd say just give it some serious thought and try to figure out your level.  You might very well be C2.

aperry

• Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »
Speaking of DELE, if you fail the exam first time time around, can you retake it?