Author Topic: Regions with payment problems  (Read 2534 times)

texasgirl

Regions with payment problems
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:30 AM »
I noticed there is so much variety and conflicting information in terms of regions that have given students problems in the past with payments.

I was thinking maybe there could be a way to compile specifically WHICH regions/pueblos/schools/communities are not doing a good job paying the students. If past recipients can contribute to this, that would be great, so future students can avoid those areas or be well informed about problems of regions they're going too

So far, from what I can tell, these regions that seem to pop up continuously when it comes to discussion of problems with payment:

Catalunya, Pais Vasco, Andalucia.

However, I do think there needs to be more specific information as to where the payment problems are exactly, which is what I hope this thread will accomplish. I know, personally, I will not risk going to Spain if I'm placed in an area or community that is notorious for delaying payments and giving students a difficult time.

pittel

• Platinum
  • no pasa nada
    • Auxiliary Blog
Re: Regions with payment problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
I'm in Pais Vasco, we were about 2 weeks late, but that was the only time in the 2 years I've been here. It wasn't because of the crisis or not having the money, it was because they started the payment process late, so take that information how you please. 

Castilla la Mancha, Valencia, and La Rioja also had some serious issues this year, and there were schools in Madrid as well. Within the comunidades, some schools are able to pay their assistant out of their own pockets if the government hasn't paid them, so in theory, an assistant might not even know where exactly the money is coming from.

WindyCity

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
It's hard to say.  I'm in a pueblo in the province of Albacete, which is in Castilla la Mancha.  Neither I nor anyone else in my town has had problems getting paid, but I've seen on facebook that there have been a decent number of people around Albacete and other areas of CLM who've had problems getting paid.  I got a couple of emails from the US Embassy in December/January asking if I'd been paid, because they'd been getting so many complaints from auxiliares and that helped out some people I think.   Now, I don't know how my school is paying me.  It is very likely that they are paying me out of their own pocket and waiting to get reimbursed by the junta of CLM (my friends and I in town kinda suspect that that's whats going on for many of us).  So, getting paid on time could also depend on how much cash the school has on hand and how willing/able they are to pay you with that cash - for example they might be able to pay you for a couple of months, but come January need to pay the heating.  As far as payments go it almost seems a little like Russian roulette. 

aussie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
As a current auxiliar the problem spots i heard about were Cataluna and also where I am posted, Murcia.
I'd suggest not choosing this region unless you have quite a bit of money to tide you over as we were not paid until January!, and to date we remain one month behind in payments. There were payment issues last year as well, so there is a history of poor management in the Murcia region. Though it should be stated that it is a nice place to live and most auxiliares are happy here.

Jess

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »
I was looking for this information and was wondering if any current auxiliares have can update us about how things are going this year? Have payments been on time so far?

halydia

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
Knock on wood, but Cantabria has been excellent about payments over the last few years. The first payment comes on November 20th +/- and the rest are on the 20th of each month after that.

upcycledbliss

• Silver
    • Upcycled Bliss
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »
Good question, good info!

julie_frazier

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »
Currently in Extremadura and we haven't been paid yet.  Looks like it should happen before Christmas, but that's only after other auxiliares put a lot of pressure on the ministry to pay us.