Author Topic: 2011-2012 North American Language and Culture Assistants in MADRID  (Read 121409 times)

CarlyG

Hi everyone,
I wanted to start a new topic for any first years headed to Madrid in the fall! I see other regions have their own forums and I think it'll be helpful to find roommates and friends and ask questions here before we head out! Once we start getting the letters from our regions, I'm sure we'll want to know who is where and whether anyone will be in the same school! Join if you're moving to Madrid Fall 2011!
Carly

Rubiaco

• Gold
Re: 2011-2012 North American Language and Culture Assistants in MADRID
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »
sounds good. Hopefully we'll get our school assignments really soon. I just want it so I can get the visa and be done with it all. The sooner it's in my hands, the sooner I can leave for Madrid!

CarlyG

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
Yeah I definitely need to call my consulate and figure out if we need a new background check. I've seen so many people saying different things that I want to hear it for myself. I believe my consulate is in NYC. By the way, I'm from Philly if anyone is interested in meeting up ahead of time to get to know one another :)

ny8120

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
hey guys,

does anyone know if the majority of people are placed in the actual city of Madrid? It seems like we could be placed anywhere in the Madrid province.

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »
yeah, could be anywhere, but shouldn't affect you living in the city. I know a girl who travels about an hour by train, but then again, my dad does that here in the states by car. Now, certain neighborhoods may make a lot more sense, so I wouldn't have my heart set on any particular barrio, but in theory, you could live anywhere.

AMIRicano

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
Yay!  Great idea... I really hope I get a school placement in an urban setting within the city.
- Amir

trebles

• Silver
    • CouchSurfing
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
I think I would actually prefer living in a cute town just outside of Madrid, 50 mins away ;)
carpe diem

Reportinglove

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
City living all the way! My commute right now is an hour anyway so as long as I live in the city centre I don't care where I'm placed!

Andrepdx

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »
I really can't believe this is happening!

MADRID here I come!

Rubiaco

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »
no joke. I can't wait. I wanna live in the city, near the center. But I wouldn't wanna live near Sol...too touristy. Maybe Arguelles o Salamanca.

goldn217

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:51 AM »
Yay! I am so excited. I can't wait to be living in Madrid. I think having a spanish roommate would be cool, but it would definitely be comforting to live with another auxiliar so we can share our experiences. So, if anyone is interested, I would love to find a roomie before we get there! and regardless of where I am placed, I want to live somewhere in the center of the city. ;D

bucci

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:54:45 AM »
I just got placed for Madrid today and I can't stop smiling! I was born there and lived there for a few years when I was a kid and have really fond memories, so it'll be good to go back.

dcolin

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »
Yay! I am so excited. I can't wait to be living in Madrid. I think having a spanish roommate would be cool, but it would definitely be comforting to live with another auxiliar so we can share our experiences. So, if anyone is interested, I would love to find a roomie before we get there! and regardless of where I am placed, I want to live somewhere in the center of the city. ;D

I just got placed in Madrid today and I couldn't be any more excited! & I totally agree with you, while having a Spanish roommate would be nice, I'd also like to live with at one auxiliar :) I can't wait til they start assigning schools, though that's probably quite a while away...

JenT

• Bronze
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
I lived in Arguelles for a month in the summer and it was pretty great, quiet at night but walking distance to all the action.  I'm definitely hoping for city center because I like being able to walk home after a night out.  Though I usually stay out until 7 AM and take the metro home with friends anyways, hehe.