Author Topic: Filing U.S. taxes as a Spain resident and autónomo  (Read 6390 times)

Carrie12345

Filing U.S. taxes as a Spain resident and autónomo
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
Do any U.S. citizens, residents in Spain and registered autónomos, have information about filing U.S. taxes?

I have come to understand that I need to declare the following to the IRS in the U.S.: my income earned as freelance as well as my income earned through any other contract jobs...as long as my total yearly income does not exceed $91,000 I am exempt from paying taxes in the U.S. on this money.  I need to prove that I pay into the Spain social security system to avoid paying a 15% "self-employment tax" in the U.S.

In addition I must tell them about any bank accounts/investments here in my name, especially those with more than $10,000.

What I´m interested in finding out is what documentation I need to include with my U.S. tax return and what papers if any need to be translated into English.  I have the equivalent to a W-2 for the jobs I had worked last year under a contract.  But I´m not sure what paperwork I need to submit for my freelance income.

Does anyone have experience with doing this legally?  Any advice?
Thanks in advance for your help!

RebeccaG

• Administrator
Re: Filing U.S. taxes as a Spain resident and autónomo
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:03 AM »
Hello Carrie,

I know the date is past...but for future reference you can always check at the US Embassy in Madrid or Consulate in Barcelona for tax assistance.

How did you make out this year?

Best,
Rebecca
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

Carrie12345

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »
Unfortunately, the U.S. Embassy in Madrid does not offer tax assistance. 

After more investigation, it´s a bit complicated but I think I´ve figured out all the paperwork I need to present.  I need a certificate of coverage from SS here in Spain, which would prove that I am exempt from paying SS tax on the same income in the U.S.  Unfortunately, the SS office here doesn´t know what I´m talking about.  So hopefully I can find out exactly what form I need to be able to explain it to our dear friends the helpful civil servants :)

The U.S. deadline isn´t until April 15th, so if I can get this together in time great, and if not, I´ll file for the 2 month extension.

Any more advice is very welcome!! :)

RebeccaG

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »
Oh, right... I don't know where my head is sometimes.

What I can tell you is that as a US citizen residing in Spain, you are not obligated to pay taxes in the US unless your income here exeeds $75,000. What you need to do is to simply file the forms.

It's hard to give tax advice since everyone's situation is a little bit different. I am afraid that what I have file (being a business owner, homeowner and married) would not help you with what you would need to file. The US Embassy does have a list of recommended tax preparers (or at least it used to). Give them a call and see what they say.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-R
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

meunka01

• Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 01:31:40 AM »
I've been running into the same problem.  I worked as an autonomo in Spain last year in Granada. Since then, my wife (she's Spanish) and I moved to the US.  I know I don't owe anything, nor will I get any sort of refund, but I need a federal tax return from last year for my wife's Green Card application and to apply for financial aide for grad school.  If I hadn't been self employed, the process would be simpler, but the case is that (like Carrie12345 has said), unless I get ahold of a certificate from the Spanish social security office that says I paid into Spain's social security system, I'll have to pay a $400 self-employment tax.  SO, my big question for Carrie12345 is if she was able to get that certificate! The American Social Security website suggests that we send a letter to our local Spanish Social Security office with our information and requesting the info...but I think we all know what the funcionarios will do with some free form letter (right to the trash)!  Did you figure out what form to fill out to get that certificate? If you had any success, let me know!

michaelotal

• Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »
Have you tried the Informe de Vida Laboral from the Ministerio de Empleo y Social Seguridad available via the internet?

Sixone

• Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »
It is very useful knowledge offline.