Author Topic: North American Language and Culture Assistants 2010-2011  (Read 402696 times)

unohooim7

• Silver
North American Language and Culture Assistants 2010-2011
« on: November 30, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
The 2010-2011 application is now available. Deadline March 30, 2010. Good luck everyone!

http://www.mec.es/sgci/usa/en/programs/us_assistants/default.shtml

scclads

Re: North American Language and Culture Assistants 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
"Be a Junior or Senior college student or have successfully completed a BA, BS, MA or MS by the end of the current academic year."

I received my Master's in Education in 2007.  Do you think I am still eligible?  I take the above statement to mean you must either be in school or just finishing to apply.  Do you think they've changed the rules this year?

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:04:30 PM »
"Be a Junior or Senior college student or have successfully completed a BA, BS, MA or MS by the end of the current academic year."

I received my Master's in Education in 2007.  Do you think I am still eligible?  I take the above statement to mean you must either be in school or just finishing to apply.  Do you think they've changed the rules this year?

When I applied for the program in 2007, I finished my MA in 2003.  Just apply and see what they say.

Shawn

serendipity

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »
hey everybody,

I started doing my application on profex. I exited the browser window, and I went back onto profex to continue my application, and I keep getting this notice:

Bienvenido al Sistema de Gestión de personal de programas en el Exterior (PROFEX)

Mensajes producidos por la Áºltima operación:

* Operación no efectuada. Existe otro usuario con el mismo correo electrónico que usted ha introducido.

And I've tried multiple times to login and I still keep getting that notice, and I can't access my application files. Has this happened to anybody else? I just sent an e-mail to Profex support.

zutalors

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:36:28 AM »
That has happened to me too. ..
I registered yesterday but today ive been getting the same message as you, cant do the CV or anything
so no worries its not just you

:)

ire

• Bronze
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:02 AM »
hey,
to those of you having problems, I was having the same problems too and finally figured it out! If your trying to get to the "curriculum" page the next time you log-in do not select the auxiliary one but the  "mantenimento del CV" link and log-in from there and you should be able to start to apply!!

good luck!! I am just starting my application too & I am sure many of us will run into problems

hope this helped :)

beachp

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »

I think it has said the same thing in previous years and it's meant that one needs to be either a junior/senior in college or has completed their degree whether it be undergraduate or graduate. So if you didn't finish a degree  and your not a junior/senior in college then you can't apply.

ire

• Bronze
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:34:09 AM »
hey,

does anyone know in what section we put a completed diploma form college if I am now in univ. completing a degree ?

thanks

serendipity

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »
Hey everybody,

Do you think it's better to write the personal statement in English or in Spanish?

unohooim7

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
Do you think it's better to write the personal statement in English or in Spanish?

I think the most important thing is to turn the application in sooner than later.

A quote from the 2009-2010 thread that calmed me when I was stressing over my statement:

The folks at the Spanish consulate aren't U.S. college admissions officers. They are bureaucrats. They're not looking for the best and the brightest. They're not waiting or even expecting to have their calcetines knocked off by the applications of the American auxiliares.  They're just looking for native English speakers with a college education. Period.

I feel sorry for those of you who took the time to craft a splendid application in hopes that it would help you stand out from the crowd. It didn't. You would've been better off submitting a ho-hum (but complete) application back in January than waiting until April to submit a package that was stellar.

If you've got the time (i.e. you're still waiting for your official transcripts, letter of recommendation, etc...), I say go for it in Spanish.  In previous years, the personal statement was the only item that HAD to be in Spanish.

If the statement is the last item that will complete your application and you're having a tough time writing it in Spanish, I say write it in English and get it in the mail ASAP.

Good luck!

buffalove

• Bronze
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 05:03:47 AM »
I have a pretty simple question.  I'm done with the online application.  how do i submit it?  does anyone know how quickly the 1200 slots filled up last year?

thanks and good luck!

serendipity

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »
i read through the 2009 and 2010 posts, and it seems like if you get your app in before march, you're good to go

buffalove- did you attach your medical letter and a scan of your letter of rec?

thanks

buffalove

• Bronze
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
ugh the whole online application is so confusing.  under what section do i upload everything?  do i upload it all... dr note, letter of recomendation, letter of intent, transcript, passport photo page, police clearance?

how do we get the police clearance thing? what do we ask for when we go to the police station? 

stacylimones

• Gold
    • http://
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
They've created a manual about the program with everything from Profex questions (and a support person you can e-mail) to the process of acceptance, wait list, etc. I really recommend that everyone applying take the time to read through; it's pretty good! The organization of the program seems to be improving.

Good luck everyone! :-)