Author Topic: N. American Lang & Cultural Asst 2007-08  (Read 171763 times)

RebeccaG

• Administrator
N. American Lang & Cultural Asst 2007-08
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »
I think you guys should consider closing this thread to additional comments and open a brand new thread for the upcoming 2007-2008 program. People would still be able to read old posts but they won't have to worry that they are missing the most up to date info.

Beckett,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. A very good one indeed as it can be quite tedious to work through many many pages of an old thread.

So, here it is folks...ready to use! Share your thoughts and experiences as you go through the process for 2007-08.

For those who are new here, you can find all the application information here:

THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS UP AND RUNNING

Just to let everyone know that the online application for 2007-2008 is now up and running. Good luck to all who wish to apply this year.

North American Language and Culture Assistant

Saludos,
Shawn

I also would like to encourage you to make this board as functional as possible and share your lesson plan ideas and classroom experiences specifically on the thread Language and Cultural Assistants Lesson Plans.

Suerte a todos!

-R
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

MadrileñaJoelie

• Bronze
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »
Hi All,

Just an FYI to all the 2007-2008 new applicants (and maybe you all knew this but just in case you didn't... :) I spoke with the woman who's in charge of the NALA program at the Spanish embassy in DC this morning who informed me (to the best of her knowledge) that if you're application was sent in and/or postmarked by the original deadline of april 16th then you will be informed by the original response date of may 1st as to weather you got in.  Again, this was just according to one woman from the embassy...as I've read the news changes according to with whom you speak:) I think an earlier post on the 2006-2007 thread said all applicants would not know until 2 weeks from may 11th. Well anyways, just posting what I know, wishing luck to all those who are applying, and perhaps passing on a note to check your email earlier than May 25th.

Suerte,
Madrilenajoelie

stacylimones

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:23:27 AM »
Thanks for the info, Madrilenajoelie. One of the best ways to curb the \"Auxiliary Anxiety\" is by staying informed and sharing information. Any little bits of information that may seem trivial to you can be of great help (and relief) to others, so thanks again for sharing!
Suerte to everyone applying!

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:05:46 PM »
That's good to know.  I am also glad that they extended the deadline to give more people a chance to apply.  I am not concerned with why they extended the deadline.  

This is a good program for people who want to be in Spain legally.

Suerte a todos,

Shawn

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 03:39:49 AM »
MadrileñaJolie,

The information that you received is right on the money.

Las solicitudes recibidas en el plazo del 16 de abril, recibirÁ¡n notificación a finales de abril. Las recibidas en el plazo del 11 de mayo, recibirÁ¡n notificación durante los quince dÁ­as posteriores a esa fecha.

Applications received by April 16th will receive notification by the end of April. Applications received by May 11th will receive notification within two weeks following the deadline.

This can be seen on the NALCA page.

Thanks again for this information,

Shawn

Raquelita estrellita

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 04:16:45 AM »
I can't wait to find out!!!

MadrileñaJoelie

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »
Hi All,

I just realized I forgot to include the high school, middle and elementary schools I attended on my resume.  I only put my college. Ugh, does anyone know how important that information was? Shawn, you seem to have a wealth of experience and knowledge on this topic  ;) , any thoughts?

Thanks!

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »
MadrileñaJolie,

Let me see how I would say this.  I don't think that it will knock you out of the running if you are qualified, but they can be picky and reject your application because you didn't follow the directions to the letter, but I don't forsee that happening at all.  

Please let us know something as soon as you know.  

Suerte,

Shawn

Beckett

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 01:24:14 AM »
Hi All,

I just realized I forgot to include the high school, middle and elementary schools I attended on my resume.  I only put my college. Ugh, does anyone know how important that information was? Shawn, you seem to have a wealth of experience and knowledge on this topic  ;) , any thoughts?

Thanks!
It's probably not a dealbreaker but to put your mind at ease, why not email a short note explaining the oversight, plus the correct version of your resume, to the email address listed on the application?  

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 01:51:02 AM »
Beckett,

Great response.  I don't know why I didn't think of that.   :blink:  That's why I love this board.  So many helpful people and great responses to questions.

Shawn

MadrileñaJoelie

• Bronze
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
Thanks Beckett and Sredw! You two are great;  I did just what you recommended- sent an email explaining, apologizing and attached a new copy of my CV.

Rats, I can't believe I missed that little detail! Does anyone know WHY they need that information? It must be my own American ignorance/bias but it seems a little funny to me :rolleyes:  I sincerely hope I am still a competitive candidate for the program and they don't throw out my application :( Oh well, I'll keep you all posted with what happens.

Thanks again,suerte a todos- MadrilenaJoelie

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »
MadrileñaJolie,

I don't have a clue why they need that information, but I can say that after working at the Fulbright Commission in Spain, that a lot of information seemed trivial, but was needed in the long run.  I think that your chances are fine.  Stay strong, mi hermanita.  :D

Shawn

RebeccaG

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:06:37 AM »
MadrileñaJolie,

This may have absolutely nothing to do with anything, but I recall when I had to register my son's birth at the US Embassy and apply for his US citizenship. In order to do so, I had to prove my US citizenship and a mere copy of my passport was not sufficient. I had to also demonstrate that I had physically lived in the USA for (I think) at least 8 consecutive years, three of which must have been when I was at least 14 years old. The way I could prove that was by submitting official copies of my highschool and college transcripts. I also had to submit copies of W-2's to demonstrate my adult years residing in the country.

So perhaps for the purposes of the NALCA program they want to see *how long* you have lived in the USA given that the USA is a country of immigrants. They want to make sure that the candidates they are approving for the program have strong language/cultural knowlege. I don't know...just a supposition. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that is what they are looking for.  ;)

Good luck everyone!

-R
PASS IT ON! Has the information on this board been helpful to you? If so, please pass it on! Tell others about the website, share your comments and insights! If we can improve, please tell us!

MadrileñaJoelie

• Bronze
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »
RebeccaG,

Thanks, that was great insight! Seeing as how \"the US is a country of immigrants\" that makes a LOT of sense.  I called the embassy this morning to double check on this matter and the woman I spoke with said it wasn't a big  deal. I emailed it anyways though :D  

Hasta luego,
Madrilenajoelie