Author Topic: N. American Lang And Culture Asst 2006-07  (Read 217531 times)

SRedw

• Platinum
N. American Lang And Culture Asst 2006-07
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »
Dear Sir/Madam,

The Education Office of the Embassy of Spain is pleased to announce that the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science will be sponsoring a North American Language and Culture Assistant Program for elementary and secondary schools in Spain. This program enables US and Canadian citizens to work as English Language Assistants in Spain for the school year 2006-2007. The assistants will work in close connection with experienced Spanish teachers and are meant to collaborate mostly in teaching English oral skills.

We would greatly appreciate it if you could inform your students of this opportunity.

Candidates can find information and requirements on the following website:

http://www.sgci.mec.es/usa/AC/indexing.shtml

Applications for the 482 grants offered should be completed and submitted online by March 20, 2006.

Should candidates have any questions regarding this program please contact our office:

e-mail: norteamericanos@mec.es    
Tel:  202 728 2335    
Fax: 202 728 2313

José Francisco Olivares Ruiz
Education Advisor
Education Office
Embassy of Spain in Washington.
2375, Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
Washington D.C. 20037
Tel. 1-202-728-2335
Fax. 1-202-728-2313
norteamericanos@mec.es
http://www.sgci.mec.es/usa/AC/indexing.shtml

mikeschneider

• Bronze
    • http://myvalencia.net
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:19:15 AM »
The deadline for this program has been extended until May 31st. I applied and was accepted and offered a position in Andalucia. Yesssss.
.:.mike.:.

Los limites de mi lenguaje son los limites de mi conocimiento.

tonytorero

• ¡El Torero Virtual!
  • Platinum
    • http://www.expatriatecafe.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »
Well done, Mike! Congrats!!! B)

:beer:  
poseso.... Tony

--
“Experience is not always the kindest of teachers, but it is surely the best.”

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:41:02 PM »
AWESOME!

maresjd

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:51:41 AM »
hey mike,  I applied and was accepted too but I'm going to be in the madrid area.  Congrats!!

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:58:57 AM »
Can you choose your city in the application, or do they just assign you wherever?

Later gator,

Phil

maresjd

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 04:26:49 AM »
Amongst the very lenghty application you get to choose three autonomous regions you would prefer to teach in... if you go to the website they list the number of positions available in each region... naturally madrid and adalucia have the most openings... with 120 and 200 i believe?

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:49:27 PM »
Yeah I was just checking out the site.....seems like a lot of paperwork for less than Á¢â€šÂ¬631.06 per month... and I would be interested in how many of those \"paid holidays\" they are offering and what those  trips include...

sepi

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »
hey mike, I got accepted to Andalucia too!!! Have they contacted anyone yet with the visa info or starting date?

mikeschneider

• Bronze
    • http://myvalencia.net
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 06:25:58 AM »
Hey sepi, I haven't been contacted yet. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has. I asked 2 of my friends that were also accepted, one to madrid and the other to pais vasco, and they haven't heard anything either. I'm pretty anxious to find out something though, seeing as Andalucia is a pretty big area. I can't wait. I'll post again as soon as I hear anything. Anyone else going to Andalucia?
.:.mike.:.

Los limites de mi lenguaje son los limites de mi conocimiento.

SRedw

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:12:08 AM »
Sticky,

Hey there.  I have to agree with you and I was talking about this program with a private student just this morning.  They say that you will be working only 12 hours a week, but will it really be 12 hours?  I think not.  It may depend on your school and the admistration there.  I do know that Spanish children get a ton of holidays and vacations, so that's no problem there.

I encourage all who have been accepted to come back and let us know about your experiences.

A great day to all,

Shawn

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 12:50:45 PM »
Oh your right Shawn...for some reason I registered \"Holidays\" as meaning excursions or something. Anyway, yeah Spain has more free days than any other country in Europe, I believe.  

chadulaa

• http://
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 04:55:08 PM »
I was accepted into the program for the Autonomous Region of Madrid.  Someone emailed me saying that they would send details \"soon\".  The information on the web site doesn't provide many details at all, not even the dates.  It simply says for the 2006-2007 school year, which I assume is from Oct. to around June.  

I thought it was interesting that the deadline was extended twice; I suppose that means that they weren't getting enough applications from qualified candidates, or enough applications period.  The pay (631 Euros) may have discouraged some from applying.  Those without savings would have a very hard time getting by on that salary, especially in Madrid.  I've lived in Madrid a couple of times and rent alone seems to be around 400 Euros on avg for a room in a shared apt.  I'm planning on staying with some friends I lived with before for very, very cheap--if I didn't have that option and my savings account I may not have applied due to the low salary.    

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »
But you know, even if it is only 631 Euros per month...I mean they are giving out work visas for this, right? So....1+1=.... with that you could take on another job at another language academy or agency? That could help raise those numbers!

Later gators,

Phil