Author Topic: Bringing children  (Read 1078 times)

Shalom

• Default personal text
Bringing children
« on: March 17, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Has anyone successfully applied and been accepted into the language assistant program as a couple with children?  We found it odd that the question was on the application.  We are worried that having children will negatively impact our chances at being accepted.  We have a kindergartener and a 1st grader.  Any complications we should know about?

Traveling with kids.  Visas and children.  Enrolling children in school? Sons.

Patrick

Re: Bringing children
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:34:10 AM »
I would guess the biggest problem would be a residence permit for them.  The residence permit we get is given through a student visa.

Lbake58@wgu.edu

• Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:04:18 PM »
We are also taking our child. I also would like some clarification from anyone who's successfully got a visa for their spouse or child.

According the the student visa info & what others have said, every person coming with me needs their own visa & visa appointment.

So my question is this: Since they are getting their visas because of mine (student visa), do they need to have separate insurance to cover them. And do I need to show financial means to provide for their entire stay?

oceanslily

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
I realize this post is a year old, but figured I'd chime in for anyone looking for this. Yes, you can get accepted and get visas with children, but the process becomes a lot more complicated. First of all, do not expect any straightforward information from the visa offices. We went in multiple times (Chicago), sent my brother in, and in the end, never fully submitted our applications (I'll explain). Please keep in mind this was just our experience from 2014 and things may have changed.

When you're sponsoring a spouse and/or children,  you need to prove greater financial means (your amount plus a couple of hundred of Euros per person) and a notarized letter of support is not acceptable. You all need insurance and background checks for anyone over 18. The child's birth certificate and your marriage certificate needs to be apostled (sp?). You need applications for all of you and to pay the visa fee for every applicant as well.

What tripped us up in the end was needing a lease. As a family, we had to prove we had housing arranged. This changed everything at our final appointment, as I sent my brother to inquire about this in person and he was told we did not. We'd been in Spain and had flown home for the visa -- we could have arranged housing while there.  Since the consulate had never really done this visa for a family before, they wouldn't give us any information of the likelihood of our visa being approved or what steps to take if it wasn't (or if we'd have to pay MORE fees). Since we didn't have the lease and were staring at hundreds of dollars in fees for what seemed like a gamble, we opted not to go through with the application process.

I'm considering applying for next year (2018) and am willing to try again, knowing what I know now.