Author Topic: Opinion: Teaching English In Spain Is A Joke!  (Read 21611 times)

kumargowda1983

Re: Opinion: Teaching English In Spain Is A Joke!
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »
I was born and raised in the US (east coast) but both my parents are from Spain and I have been living in Madrid for the past five years. Of course, I am fluent in Spanish and know the culture so I don't feel like a foreigner, in fact, in the US, ironically, I feel much more foreign.

That being said, I have also taught English and to be honest (and with ALL my respect to those who make it a profession) I never took it seriously either. My days usually consisted in just making a photocopy of a newspaper article (if the class was advanced) and just discussing it. Not taking it seriously made more people come to the class because it was more entertainment than learning hard core grammar (Which I also know very well but don't spend time teaching it).

So perhaps it is a mental state: some people are upset because teaching English is their profession but I honestly don't believe that the majority of "English teachers" in Madrid are here because it is a career. While there are plenty of notable exceptions, most of the English teachers I know are in Spain "for fiesta" and not to learn about our culture or history.

And, the Spanish students know it too.

Thank you.

exammadrid

• Default personal text
Re: Opinion: Teaching English In Spain Is A Joke!
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »
Everything depends on personal experience but you made some good points.
My experience teaching college students is the best. When you teach students who are studying in private colleges and their dream is to keep studying overseas or find a job somewhere else, they take it very seriously
I have been teaching many years in https://ingles-madrid.com/ and I can say that it has been a pleasure.
It is hard to find a good english school and have a nice contract but when you got it, the whole experience changes. My first years, I had to teach in different schools and companies so I had to commute all over the place.
It is like anywhere else, if you don't give up you will get lucky. And remember, luck is when opportunity meets preparation.  ;)